Saturday, July 24, 2010

A new venture...

I have a habit of getting into a new hobby and then losing interest quickly. That was until I found how invigorating sitting atop two wheels truly can be in a city.

Having moved to San Francisco from a small town world in Pennsylvania, I rode a mountain bike here and there, but really I just hopped in my Jeep if I wanted to just get away from it all. Well, I can't do that in the city...or so I thought.

I have recently discovered a whole new way of living. I know nothing of cycling. I can't fix a flat tire. I can't fix a broken chain. I can't even tell you what I should wash my bike with. What I do know is that after starting to do a little research here and there....the world of cycling is one of the coolest things I've ever gotten into. I am so glad I decided to impulsively buy my bike last weekend.

Everyday I seem to get more and more into the whole scene. Following new bloggers I come across, bookmarking cute add-ons for my bike, discovering neat trails and paths all across the city dying for me to visit them.

This blog is going to be about my trials and tribulations. Learning how to do things with my bike. Places I find on my two new wheels. Or maybe just one photo uploads of cool bikes I see. It's going to be my new venture...into the world of cycling in one of the coolest cities my life has ever brought me to.

I will probably upgrade to a road bike shortly after getting used to my cruiser. I just have this feeling I'm going to WANT to climb the hills. However, for now, I am loving my vintage mixte. It's a Columbia "Grand Sport Classic 10 Speed". Other than that, I know nothing. :) I don't care if it ends up being a piece of crap, I still love it. It's my first city bike.

It needs a name, but I just haven't found one that is fitting enough just yet.




Sometimes you just need to leap head first into something. San Francisco, here I am.

~J

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lot of fun and I am excited to hear all your adventures on wheels...I love your spirit more than anything else about you, your full of adventure and not afraid to try anything... I can tell you bicycling in the TL is not recommended but you probably knew that already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite rides is jamming down the gradual grade; from Divisadero to VanNess. It's totally exhilarating and if you time the stop lights Just right you won't need to stop! Rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have a cute bike and the upright sitting position makes you more visible than you would be hunched over drop handlebars. Hills are a challenge but I do okay in hilly Flagstaff with 8 speeds. Mostly it is about learning how and when to shift (my opinion). If you haven't been to Bikes in the City, a very popular SF bike/style blog go there at once. You can hook up with Meli and her pals for Buttercup rides, coffee and the best in SF culture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've totally already commented all up on Meli's blog! Haha. She is such an inspiration for me! As are you! LOVE YOUR BLOGS! Woo hoo! :)

    ReplyDelete